Saturday, October 30, 2010

"and lead me in the way everlasting..." -psalm 139-

I had one of those great conversations today that are so refreshing to the soul... You know, one of those conversations with a brother in Christ where we both shared deeply from the heart about the things in life that truly matter... about loving others, what it means to be the Church, how grace, mercy, and love should be embodied in American culture, and role playing games.  The best part about the conversation?  There are several views and beliefs where we differ from one another, yet, we both affirm our oneness in Christ.  If you and nine of your friends were listening to us speak, my guess is 10 out of 10 of you would say that I was the more 'liberal' of the two.  And as our conversation began to wrap up, I began asking some more reflective questions to myself...

I believe that God calls us to love others... Pretty obvious, right?  I must also affirm that one of the greatest ways to love another person is to stand up and affirm that person's freedom.  For example, a child has the right to grow up in a home where they are not abused.  As Christians, we should stand up and affirm this right.  So here is where things get gray and somewhat cloudy... What happens when 'the most loving action' is not so obvious?  Do we ever stand up for a person's freedom even if we believe that the particular 'free act' is sinful, like gay marriage for example?  When is it appropriate to deny a particular freedom?  Admittedly (and unfortunately), I do not know the answer to these questions.   And as I left the conversation with my good friend I prayed this prayer: "God, if over the years my my heart and mind have somehow gone astray from the things you view as good, right, and true, then please correct me Lord.  Realign my heart to yours.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

2 comments:

  1. You taught me to make those last few verses of Psalm 139 my prayer for my life, and to come back to it over and over. They're one of my favorite passages in Scripture, and something I keep praying and keep coming back to when I don't know what else to pray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome Cate. I try to make that prayer a regular practice in my life. It is so great to see your obvious love for the Lord and your strong desire to love God and others. Keep going! :-)

    ReplyDelete