Wednesday, October 19, 2011

the 'Jesus-Juke'

So what exactly is a 'Jesus-juke?'  Jon Acuff invented the phrase and has written about it here.  The word 'juke' is often referred to in football or another sport where a player is running/skating/moving in one direction and then all of the sudden they completely change directions and head somewhere else.  If you are a running back or receiver in football, being able to 'juke' people is very important.

The Jesus-juke is the ability to incorporate Jesus and Christianity into any topic and it generally communicates shame.  Also, the Jesus-juke is very good at producing awkward moments along with strange endings to previously good conversations.  Still not sure what the Jesus-juke is?  Allow me to give you a few examples... Some of them are made up, some of them are based on real life examples.

Jesus-Juke Scenario 1

(Mike) I can't wait for Saturday!  We are going to get to the stadium like six hours before the game.  I'm bringing my grill to cook up some burgers, we can play washers, and then as soon as the gates open, we can head on in. It is gonna be awesome!
(Todd) Yeah... But I was just thinking... What if we spent those six hours that we were going to tailgate and watch the game by going down to the homeless shelter and serving food?  When is the last time we got this excited about spending six hours in prayer? 

-Poor Mike, he never saw it coming.  He just got completely juked out of his mind by Todd.  My guess is that Mike's neck hurt for a few weeks after this juke.

Jesus-Juke Scenario 2

(Kate) I know, I haven't talked to you in awhile.  So, been' reading any good books lately?
(Lindsey)  Heck yes I have!  I am reading the 'Hunger Games' series which I am LOVING!  I have already ordered that new Sparks book, I forget the name... and my boyfriend was telling me to check out that baseball book that was made into a movie.  You know, the Brad Pitt one?  How about you, anything good you have been checking out?
(Kate) Yeah, I've been reading the Bible.
(Lindsey) Oh yeah? Nice.  Anything else?
(Kate) Nope, I just read the Bible.

-While this juke is a little more subtle than the first scenario, you can be sure that Lindsey just got completely juked.

Jesus-Juke Scenario 3

(Micah) I'm just really excited about what we have been able to do with our small group at church.  We have started tutoring some kids in the area to help them with their school work.  We have also organized this small flag football thing on Tuesdays to help encourage exercise and teach the kids about getting away from the television.  We are hoping by next month to get some computers so we can finally start using this literacy software we had donated to us.  We are really optimistic that these students can start performing better at school.
(Caleb) Sounds fun, are you doing any Christian things with the students?
(Micah) What do you mean?
(Caleb) You know, like more Jesus centered things.  Are you doing stuff that Jesus would do with them like study the Bible and start worship services with the kids?
(Micah) No, we haven't done anything like that yet.  We are simply trying to love and invest into the lives of these students... I think Jesus would like what we are doing.
(Caleb) *forced smile that communicates his disappointment that Micah is not doing REAL ministry*

-Just when Micah thought he could share his joy with Caleb, Caleb is quick to let him know that teaching the students to read, encouraging physical activity, and tutoring are smaller secondary activities compared to the true work of Jesus... Complete Jukage.  

So, got any good examples of the Jesus juke?

3 comments:

  1. The real problem with the Jesus Juke? It's rarely--if ever--pointed at oneself.

    The Youth Ministry Jesus-Juke:

    (Youth Pastor) Hey, man, how's it going?

    (Student) Great! Our football team made it to state, which is awesome, because we only have three seniors, and no one thought we'd win more than a few games. We lost in the semis, but I know we're going all the way next year. Plus, I got to start at wide receiver for our last three games!

    (Youth Pastor) Now that football season's over, it will be good to see you at youth group again. And since you have so many friends on the team now, I'm sure it will be easy to invite them to come with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great juke! Thank you Benjer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jay, wanted to know who has the rights to the jesus juke picture? I would love to make some t-shirts of this with Jesus Juke on it. Thanks! ken

    ReplyDelete