Wednesday, October 5, 2011

thoughts on the glbtq conversation

"The unexamined life is not worth living."  -Socrates-  I think any person that desires to walk faithfully in the footsteps of Christ must regularly and continually reexamine how they are living and pray that God would help them to live faithfully.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to join in some amazing conversation with some fellow believers about what it looks like to minister to those who are either gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or questioning their sexuality.  As I mentioned in a previous post a ways back, when 1,000 non-believers were asked to use 3 words to describe the Western Church, the number one response was 'anti-gay.'  Now, if we as a Church are to be the 'Body of Christ' to the world, shouldn't the words people use to describe the Church overlap with the same words they would use to describe Jesus?  If those same people were asked to give one or two words to describe Jesus, I am sure we would hear words like: loving, merciful, welcoming, compassionate, etc.  How many examples do we see in scripture of Jesus exercising his greatest expressions of love and grace to those whom the community had damned as the worst of sinners while at the same time, Jesus reserved his greatest anger for those who already claimed to have already 'gotten it.'

With that said, I do not understand homosexuality much at all, simply because I cannot relate to it.  I don't know what it is like to grow up attracted to other guys.  My guess is that it is extremely frustrating being told that your natural emotions and inclinations are morally wrong.

Do I believe that homosexuality was a part of God's original plan?  No, I don't.  I believe the science behind how homosexuality has gradually arisen among humanity is far beyond my mind and comprehension.  However, if I did have to throw out a guess, I would say the recipe includes human sin over thousands of years.  Never underestimate humanities ability to take something good and jack it up.

So, what is the role of believers in regards to the glbtq community?  I say that we simply look towards the life and teachings of Christ as our primary model.  Instead of looking at someone and labeling them with their sin, we must first look into the eyes of every person and be reminded that they are first and foremost a creation of God, which makes them good.  Instead of opening up your Bible in order to read a passage regarding sexual immorality, perhaps you should look at your own life first and realize that, just like the person standing in front of you, you are desperately in need of the same grace and mercy that they are.  Instead of you trying to preach to them and tell them how they are living in sin (just like every other believer that they have encountered in person, on the internet, tv, etc), consider loving and welcoming that person.  Surprise them with how you  love and affirm their humanity.  There may be a time in the future where through your friendship and the Holy Spirit that God delivers this person from their lifestyle.  On the other hand, that time may not come.  Either way, love the person in their brokenness because you are broken too.  

Final thoughts.  At the end of my life, I would rather err on the side of showing too much love, grace, and mercy to the homosexual, l, t, b, q(if that is even possible).  I would rather Jesus say to me, "Jason, you should have spoken up a little more in regards to their behavior ...." as oppose to Jesus saying, "I wish you treated them with more love and kindness."

No comments:

Post a Comment