Friday, December 3, 2010

advent and rethinking our traditions

As Christians all over the world celebrate the birth of Christ during advent, I have found myself convicted about how I have contributed to making Christmas far more about consuming and receiving as oppose to a time of worshipping and celebrating our Savior and giving to others.  Many of you may have already heard about the 'advent conspiracy' movement.  If not, check out this amazing video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU

I had a conversation with a friend who told me that growing up his parents would give him and his brothers 2 gifts each.  They were allowed to keep one and had to give the other one away.  Is that not an ingenious idea?  What a great way to help make sure we are not conditioning ourselves and our children to view Christmas as nothing more than a time to get needless crap!

That same week I also learned of someone close to me who lacks basic needs like a jacket, socks, underwear, etc... and I am wanting a 26th Nintendo Wii game...??  I have 25 games already and have spent close to $1000 on mindless entertainment.   God forgive me.  And while I will spare the details, I have already decided how this year things will be different.

Rachel and I have been talking about rethinking the way we view Christmas and the traditions we want to incorporate into our family.  Traditions that will redirect the Christmas celebration back to a much more Christ-centered celebration.  What is something you do, or could do, to help make advent and the Christmas celebration something that is more of a reflection of Christ?

1 comment:

  1. Jason, thanks bro for the post. Rachelle and I are talking about what we will do as a family to celebrate the season and what traditions we will do besides the consumption ones of gifts.

    ReplyDelete