Monday, April 25, 2011

animals

I just watched a video on mercyforanimals.org (warning, very graphic footage) of a ranch in Texas that uses blunt force trauma (ice picks, hammers) to dispose of calfs that are sick or 'not worth feeding.'  This may be one of the most horrible videos I have ever seen in my life.  Their reasoning for doing this is because proper anesthesia cost money and killing animals in this manner enables them to receive higher profits for their other cattle.  While I am sure  there is a part of me that is writing out of emotion right now, I can't help but think that somehow my choice of eating habits encourage this type of behavior... Maybe not on that particular ranch, but the entire 'raising a mass amount of animals in a very confined space for the sole purpose of being consumed by humans' industry.

Here is a quote from John Wesley in one of his sermons, "It may enlarge our hearts towards those poor creatures, to reflect that, as vile as they appear in our eyes, not one of them is forgotten in the sight of our Father which is in heaven. Through all the vanity to which they are now subjected, let us look to what God hath prepared for them. Yea, let us habituate ourselves to look forward, beyond this present scene of bondage, to the happy time when they will be delivered therefrom, into the liberty of the children of God! (131)"

Many people look to the scriptures to affirm that humanity is God's supreme creation because we are made in God's image and, therefore, we are justified in our hunting and eating of animals.  However, I can't help but wonder what God thinks about it all.  Does God's 'heart' break at all for treatment of animals by the hands of humans?  As people who believe that God's creation is good and should be treated as such, should Christians take a greater concern for matters such as this? What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. I tend to think of "animal rights" type things as too far reaching. I don't really mind if the animals I eat are "happy" when they are being raised. I am probably less than thoughtful in my idea of what is too cruel in terms of animal treatment. However, in reading your thoughts I thought about it a different way. This issue isn't so much about how the animals are being treated, but the condition of the people who are doing the treating. One might simply limit this to people who are cruel to animals on purpose, for some kind of sick pleasure, but I would extend my condemnation to people who are cruel because of greed or laziness. I would say that most people who are driven by a proper level of profit could find methods of handling the volume of sickly animals in a decent AND cost effective way. I would guess many times they just land on the quickest, easiest solution that results in the content of the video. Great thoughts Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God gave human beings the job of managing God's creation. We've failed miserably. I am thankful for a God of grace, but its no excuse to keep up the bad work, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like if we feel compassion over something, God's compassion must be so much more. I'm on my way to becoming a vegetarian (I eat very little meat as it is, but my willpower is weak when it comes to turkey bacon and pot roast! I'll get there someday); there's something that's always stuck out to me about the scriptures that say that people didn't eat meat until after the fall. I feel like if you and I are upset about animal cruelty and the idea that animals have to die to sustain us, God is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how Ryan put it. In my opinion, how we treat creation reflects how we think of the creator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, Cate, and Andrew,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There are many people who think that eating meat with a grateful heart is honoring to God. Then, there are those who think that abstaining from meat is showing love and care to God's creation. This is where I would love to hear for Jesus to post a comment with his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay, I gave up eating animals three years ago for the very reason you share in your post: I just could no longer ignore the cruel and inhumane treatment of the animals in our factory farming industry which supplies 90% of the meat consumed by Americans. If someone did to our pets what these factories are doing to cattle/pigs/chickens etc, we would be shocked, angry, and demand it be stopped. Why we would do any less for other animals is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jay, Can't seem to find a way to reach you outside of this blog. We'd be interested in your writing a post for our Rethinking Youth Ministry site, either something new or sharing one of your posts you've already written here. If you are interested, you can reach me at brianskirk@yahoo.com. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even God's Torah specifically teaches the Israelites to "slaughter humanely." It is called "Schechita" in Hebrew which is considered the "Kashrut" (or "Kosher") way of slaughter. It is to be done, and still is, in the most humanely way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan, so do you think its ok to purchase and eat meat from companies like Tyson who mass produce animals and inject them with steroids for human consumption? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No I don't. First off, I wouldn't be caught dead eating modified animals - it's simply disgusting. Second, no, I don't think it is right at all. I am all about not messing with God's creation as well as treating His creation humanely - not just in slaughter but in the way the animals are raised also. The Torah specifically tells us to do so

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you get a chance, watch the movie "Food Inc" it will blow your mind! Absolutely disgusting.

    ReplyDelete