Wednesday, August 24, 2011

a good word from stanley

I have slowly but surely been making my way through 'The Peaceable Kingdom' by Stanley Hauerwas (I think 'slowly' is the only way to read his writings while actually understanding what he is saying).  While talking about morality, he made a statement that I believe to be so true: "Most people want God to fulfill all of their desires but they are unwilling to allow God to transform those desires."  What a true and brilliant observation!  How else can we possibly explain the prosperity gospel that is so popular in our country?  We find ourselves skipping over or writing off passages and texts that talk about servanthood and simplicity while highlighting and underlining passages where Jesus and Paul talk about being blessed by God.

I know I am guilty of this very thing.  As believers, may we seek to come before God in honestly and humility and thereby have our very hearts changed and transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment