Friday, July 6, 2012

Christians on the Internet

A few weeks back I had an absolutely crazy idea... While watching a video that addressed a comical yet controversial issue in the Church I thought I could share a few things that I had been questioning and wrestling with while hoping to hear some intelligent/thoughtful responses.  My goal in doing so was by no means to 'stir things up a bit.'  I enjoy listening and hearing other people's views and stances on things.  Silly me for thinking I could honestly share from my heart some of these questions that had been resonating inside me and engage in some helpful/meaningful dialogue.

Over the course of a couple weeks, I would get an email notification every time someone responded to my questions.  Out of the 15 or so responses I got, 12 of them were from fellow believers that used a variety of vocabulary to let me know how pagan my questions and thoughts were.  "No real believer who actually has read the Bible would ever ask such a stupid question..."  A few even informed me about their thoughts on where I would be spending my eternal destiny.  All that to say I deleted my question after about two weeks because I would actually find myself discouraged when someone would write something hateful or condemning.  


While this was one of the few times I actually posted some of my own thoughts on this particular website, I think I should have known better.  There must be a hidden verse or passage in scripture that says something like, "...And when you go on the internet and engage in controversial topics and conversations forget everything I ever said about loving others and extending peace and mercy...  In fact, be a complete tool."


'Defending your faith' does not justify hatred.


Who are you extending the love of Christ to?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you felt discouraged. Keep posting your thoughts and questions and know that you are an inspiration. This is one of the challenges of our age, but it has also always been a challenge: folks thinking their need to defend their religious team colors overrules the morality they supposedly profess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that happened to you. I love reading your thoughts and questions. Questioning one's faith is a way to finding greater fulfillment through it. Keep on keeping on.

    And when you find that quote in the bible about the internet, let me know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete