Tuesday, March 15, 2011

a hopeful universalist

Is there anything wrong in hoping that someday all of God's creation will experience redemption?  Would it be a bad thing if God were to demonstrate grace, mercy, and love far beyond our wildest dreams?  In other words, is there anything wrong with being a hopeful universalist...  Hoping that one day all people, living and deceased, will be able to join together and proclaim the goodness of the Lord.  For many people, the term 'universalist' or 'universalism' is often linked with a theology that views Buddha, Mohammed, Jesus, Vishnu, etc, all on equal ground.  Neither one is greater than the other.  "All paths lead to God," is not what I am stating nor is it what I believe.  Trust me when I state that I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and it is only in and through Jesus that we have any sort of hope for redemption in this life and the next... But again, what if God looks upon His creation, specifically those who never grew to profess 'Jesus Christ as Lord,' and is filled with compassion for them?

In a parable Jesus told, the people were so angry that the owner of the vineyard acted generously to those who had not worked as long as the other workers.  To the workers objection, the vineyard owner replies, "What is it to you if I decide to be overly gracious to the others?"  Would it be so bad if there is a possibility of grace and mercy beyond the grave, even to those whom we deem 'least deserving' or those we would call 'non-Christian?'

I realize I am speaking and pondering on things that are far beyond my intelligence.  I am not branding a machete as I share my thoughts and questions, just thinking 'out loud.'  However, as I think about life, we only continue to live, breath, and exist by the sustaining grace of God.  Therefore, if one is to spend an eternity in hell, does that mean that God offers the damned just enough grace so that they can continue to suffer in the 'flames that are never quenched?'  It is difficult to hold this hand and hand with the person of Jesus.    

Thoughts?  Comments?

3 comments:

  1. Universalists actually were (are?) a religion that merged with Unitarians to create Unitarian Universalists, which believe that all religious books have something to teach. "Universalists believed that the God of love would not create a person knowing that that person would be destined for eternal damnation. Thus, they concluded that all people must be destined for salvation." (from wikipedia, they put it so much more succinctly than I would)

    Nice post. Thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, yes, Unitarian Universalists are still around today. While I don't agree with most of the theology of the UU, I do feel like their faith challenges us to ask some tough questions... Like the one you mentioned in your post. Would a loving God create a person knowing that the person was, ultimately, going to reject God and spend eternity in hell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I have to confess that the same exact thing has been the subject of my thoughts lately. I'm taking a philosophy class, and finding that a lot of what the instructor is saying synthesizes with what I believe, but wondering if it should, if that makes sense. There are just so many connections.

    We should figure out a way to talk about this together sometime, because I feel like it's a tricky subject and I could use another brain to bounce things off of. I hate feeling like if I believe in the extreme goodness and mercy of Jesus, it's bumping against heresy. Help?

    ReplyDelete