Tuesday, March 1, 2011

rob bell's new book

Rob Bell is releasing a new book at the end of March entitled, Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived. While I have not read the book (obviously), the promotional video suggests that he examines Christianity's traditional understanding of the doctrine of hell.  The opening lines of the video question whether we can know if Ghandi is in heaven or hell.  Bell states that many people believe in a Christian faith where Jesus is the one who saves us from God's wrath... Jesus rescues us from God?  Bell asks, "How could this God ever be considered good?  How could this God ever be trusted?" He goes on to say, "What we believe about heaven and hell ultimately reveals what we believe about the nature of God."  Bell even seems to be questioning the idea that there is anyone in hell at all.

To be quite honest, I have struggled with the traditional understanding of hell ever since I was a teenager.  I remember asking a minister, "what about a small community that lives on a remote island and has never heard the gospel before... what happens to them when they die?"  To my question, the minister promptly responded by quoting Romans 10:9 "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."  And while I don't remember if I spoke up at that moment, I wondered how God could be so unfair and unjust to those whom I felt never had a fair shot.

This past weekend, several people began blogging, tweeting, and writing articles about how Bell has finally, once and for all, broken from orthodox Christianity.  He has been called a heretic and a universalist.  And if there is one thing that I have noticed in the last several years of my life (echoing the thoughts of Jason Boyett), there are few people meaner than Christians who think you are wrong when it comes to your theology and your beliefs.  Some of the most hurtful things ever done to my family have come from the hands and mouths of believers who disagreed with an interpretation of scripture or a political stance.  Why is conversation with those who believe different from us not an option?  Is it any wonder that so many people stereotype Christians as close-minded people who have a lot to say but don't want to hear from you if you disagree with them?  Perhaps it is motivated by a strong conviction to defend what one believes as ‘truth’ in the face of what one believes to be ‘misguiding’ or ‘false.’ 

Either way, what fascinates me is not so much the content of Bell’s new book, though I am very eager to read it, but more so the hateful and condemning dialogue that has so quickly arisen from the hands, mouths, and hearts of believers.

4 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of Rob Bell...I didn't know he was writing a new book, but I am going to read it for sure! I agree with you, a ton of Christians totally disagree with Rob Bell and what he says. He is very bold and thinks outside the box, something that a lot of Christians aren't used to. The reason I like Rob Bell is because even though I may not agree with everything he says, I know he wouldn't ask me to, he's just making the reader think. I think that it is very healthy in our relationships with God to THINK, and consciously make a decision to believe one way or another. It keeps it fresh and alive! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read the book either (obviously, haha) but your sensitivity on this subject inspires and comforts me. It is nourishing to my soul to hear Christians speak like this (and not like thinly-veiled versions of Fred Phelps). Also, something on this topic of hell that has always comforted me is the way that Jesus and Paul talked about those who were born and died before Messiah's coming. Scripture seems to suggest that one can still know God without ever having heard the Gospel! (His mercy is so great!)

    One handy site I had bookmarked explained it to me like this: "God reveals Himself in creation (Psalm 19:1-4, Romans 1:20, Deu 4:29), through conscience (Rom 2:14-15), Through Jesus Christ, as Redeemer, Savior, Lord (Isaiah 43:11, John 1:1, 11-12, 14, 18),through scripture(I Timothy 3:16) through preaching and teaching the gospel( Acts 17:23). When a person who has never heard of Jesus obeys his conscience, God will get the truth of salvation to that individual, (John 6:45, 7:17). Biblical examples are the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:26-40, Saul in Acts 9 and Cornelius in Acts 10. God makes it clear in Rom 2:14-15 that conscience conveys God’s law to human hearts even when they haven’t heard, even when they don’t have a Bible. Because no one has been kept in the dark about God, we’re all accountable to Him (Luke 12:47-48). If a person, from creation and conscience, seeks to know more about God, God will reveal Himself to that person. (Acts 17:26, 27)." You probably knew all that already, because you've been through seminary and everything, but it's good to be reminded of his grace. :) I think their little explanation is beautiful and true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jason, the amount of unintelligible condemnation baffles me as well. this was the response i expected from particular folks. however, i didn't realize they would tip their hand in regards to their ignorance by attacking the book and author before reading it.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too am a big fan of Rob Bell.

    Cate, thank you for sharing too. I like what that website had to say and I would echo much of what you shared. I think Bell is taking things a step further and asking about the existence of hell in general. If we exist only by God's sustaining grace, does that mean that God offers people in hell just enough grace so that they can continue to suffer? It is definitely an interesting question to consider. And what if God's grace is even greater than what we imagined and there is ultimate redemption for all? I am not saying this is what I have concluded, just things I have been thinking about.

    Brad, you are the man. Hope you are doing well in VA. 100 wins this season?

    ReplyDelete