Wednesday, February 9, 2011

being real

There is a group of about 8-10 men who meet at my church every Thursday for an hour around lunchtime to gather around God's Word.  Every guy in the room is either retired or works a blue collar job of some sorts.  There is no one in the room who would claim to have any specialized education in the area of theology, ministry, or the scriptures.  While they have been meeting for about three months in a room very close to my office, I had never joined them in their small group despite being invited.  Last Thursday, I decided that I would join the guys for their hour long study/conversation and can I also add that it was one of the most refreshing experiences I have had in awhile.

What was it that I enjoyed so much about this little band of brothers?  The men are quick to confess their utter need and dependence upon Christ.  There is no fluff, no smoke and mirrors that they use to somehow make it look like they have their crap together.  Prayer requests consist of help with meth and alcohol addictions.  I couldn’t help but think that Brennan Manning would thoroughly enjoy a group like this.  There is no ‘scholar’ among them that feels necessary to somehow exalt himself or let it be known that he is the ‘superior Christian’ among the group.

Don’t get me wrong; with a group like this, you will certainly come across some interesting theology and conclusions.  For example, this Thursday we read the entire book of Colossians and discussed its content in one hour… An impossible task.  And this is what I couldn’t help but wonder as the group was coming to a close: what would many of my seminary professors think about what took place in that small group setting?  Would they be disgusted at the lack of proper exegesis?  Would they be disappointed that I did not take more of an authoritative role among the group so I could correct false conclusions?  Would they be able to see that Jesus looks at a group of men like this and is so proud to see his sons seeking his face the only way they know how? 

I have a lot to learn from these men.

No comments:

Post a Comment