Thursday, February 3, 2011

A perspective of thanks

I have had a cough for almost a week... one of those coughs where you actually wake yourself up from coughing.  Along with my good friend 'the cough,' I also have a canker sore on the side of my tongue that reminds me of its presence everytime I chew food.  I found myself thinking, "I can't wait until two or three days pass and the cough and the canker sore are gone..."  There is nothing wrong with that sentiment at all.

Then I started thinking about other people, people I know and millions more that I don't, who have many issues I'm sure they wish would go away 'in two or three days' but they will not... People who have terminal illnesses, people who are not able to control their blatter, cancer patients, loneliness, a lack of hope, and so on.  Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy waking up due to a coughing fit or accidently grazing my teeth against the canker sore in my mouth, but may I give thanks that I can walk with my own two feet and go get the 'Oragel.'   May I not forget that I am truly blessed and have much to give thanks for.  Lastly, may it become a pattern of my life to daily give thanks to my God for the simplicities of life... a beating heart, oxygen, a loving wife, and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment