Wednesday, June 8, 2011

wednesday night

Our youth service finished up about 10 minutes ago and I am still sitting here in the room where we all gather together every Wednesday night.  This is one of those nights where all the students have left and I find myself wondering, 'Am I nothing more than a boxer trying to beat up the air?'  There are times when I think that pastoral ministry has to be one of the most humbling jobs out there... And after thinking about it for a little bit, I think the reason is because pastoral ministry cannot be reduced to a simple formula of A+B=C when it comes to seeking results.  There are times where you pour yourself into your job and your calling and sense little, if anything, to show for it.  It is times like these that I think the best thing to do is to take a step back, look with a broad lens, and unwind for the evening.  After 6 years of ministry, I have learned that nights/times like these come with the territory.

2 comments:

  1. I just got home from a night where only half of the normal crew showed up (30 of normal 60-70) and by the end of the night I found myself feeling very similar. Thanks for posting this. You've given me the perspective I need tonight.

    Your youth group may not have been perfect, but this post will surely be an encouragement to many. It is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam, thanks for 'stopping by' and sharing your thoughts and experiences. I'm glad you felt encouraged by this :-)

    ReplyDelete